2019年6月8日星期六

Help me decrypt my Chinese name?

So I'm a half Vietnamese, half Chinese (Hong Kong I think? Not too sure on this one), and Vietnamese names can be translated into Chinese. I used to know how to speak multiple dialects of Chinese as a kid but after over a decade of not using it I've completely forgotten about the language.

My name 黃方龍 (Huang Fanglong?)

In Vietnamese, I am Huỳnh Phương Long in Vietnamese (Huynh is the last name, Phuong is middle, Long is first). I can decrypt my name in Vietnamese, and I think it should mean the same in Chinese, but I'm not 100%, so if I could get some help and confirmation, it'd be appreciated.

Huynh - Huang

To my knowledge, this name was also associated with Hoang, it can means: Yellow, King/Emperor. However, the meaning behind this particular word of 'yellow' is supposed to be representing 'power' and 'authority', so I suppose it matches with King/Emperor.

Phuong - Fang

This means Direction as far as my fading Vietnamese vocabulary, yet when I searched the translation of Fang to English, it has multiple meanings, including direction. This is the one I'm most unsure about.

Long - Long

This I can be 100% sure means Dragon.

I'm not sure how to pierce together all of this to get a proper name, Yellow Direction Dragon doesn't sound right. I know lots of Chinese names when translated to English literally doesn't sound right either, but they all have some sort of meaning behind the name, even if it doesn't sound quite right, what is the more ideal word/meaning to replace 'Direction'? Names like Seven Blossom Leaves at least sounds right somehow.

submitted by /u/Soju_
[link] [comments]

from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! http://bit.ly/2WucrKB
--------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com

没有评论:

发表评论

Time-lapse: Beautiful cacti bloom before your eyes

from New China TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWntHYtd5Vo