2019年5月5日星期日

Chinese Names: Help!

Hi all!

I’m (20F) moving to China soon and want a culturally sensitive name, as I’ve found that mine is really hard for my Chinese friends to pronounce. I’ve researched Chinese naming practices and created a few names I think sound and look nice, as well as hold nice meanings— most of them pertaining to nature. However, since I’m not a native (or particularly fluent) speaker, I’m not entirely sure these names mean what I think they mean (or even if they would be suitable for a girl, as it’s hard for me to distinguish which characters are interpreted as masculine/feminine/unisex.)

So, do the names below mean what I think they mean, and would they be suitable for a girl? They can be unisex names, just not overwhelmingly masculine. Additionally, do any of the following names stick out as exceptionally odd, or would they sound nice to native speakers? I really want to be culturally sensitive with this, and not seem like I’m making a mockery of Chinese naming practices. Thanks in advance!

For reference, a close friend recommended I use his surname, 雷 (Léi).

蔼苞 (Ǎibāo): lush bud

蔼林 (Ǎilín): lush forest

蔼薇 (Ǎiwēi): lush fern

娇薇 (Jiaowēi): dainty, lovely fern

林薇 (Línwēi): forest fern

飒始 (Sàshǐ): sound of the wind [signals a] beginning

随飒 (Suísà): follow the sound of the wind

芽薇 (Yáwēi): sprouting fern

忆飒 (Yèsà): recall, evoke the sound of the wind

珍苞 (Zhēnbāo): precious, rare bud

自在 (Zìzài): comfortable, free, unrestrained

submitted by /u/AmericanAssimilating
[link] [comments]

from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! http://bit.ly/2LreUQP
--------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com

没有评论:

发表评论

Time-lapse: Beautiful cacti bloom before your eyes

from New China TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWntHYtd5Vo