2019年4月28日星期日

Strategies for improving reading speed

I have studied Chinese for 8 years now, but I recognize a problem is that I read very slowly--at least, as compared to how I read in English. I often read the news in Chinese, and I understand it--perhaps only looking up one word in every few sentences--but it's just painfully slow. Reading more colloquial texts (e.g. texting with friends) is faster, but if it's a long message with complex topics, it still takes me a while. But differently, I am utterly incapable of "skimming." Instead, I need to read essentially every word, which takes a long time.

​

Do people have any suggestions for how to improve reading speed at the advanced level? I expect the answer to be simply "just keep reading," but I would appreciate people's insight as to whether that works, or if there are any strategies to accelerate the process.

​

My current strategy is to read almost everything out loud, so that I can practice pronunciation/tones. I could read faster if I ignored the tones, but I'm not sure if that is to my benefit. Perhaps I should just ignore the pronunciation when I am reading?

​

As another example strategy, do people find that being able to "write" characters is helpful to speed reading them? The set of characters I can handwrite is much smaller than those that I can recognize (since I constantly am typing Chinese but rarely handwriting it). I wonder if I were to improve my ability to write characters that would somehow put them "deeper" into my mind, making it easier to then read them.

​

I appreciate any thoughts.

submitted by /u/yalidoc
[link] [comments]

from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! http://bit.ly/2ZIIp3B
--------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com

没有评论:

发表评论

Time-lapse: Beautiful cacti bloom before your eyes

from New China TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWntHYtd5Vo