2019年6月10日星期一

At least one year of learning but struggling. Any help/advice/tips would be amazing.

Okay so I will try to keep it as short as possible for you guys. I have been studying Chinese for about one year now at my university in Idaho. Throughout my year of study in 2018, I decided that I wanted to at least be immersed in the language for awhile to lose my fear of speaking with people. I decided in January to take some time off of school to work full time and save up money to study abroad. I didn't take any Chinese classes, but I made my efforts to self-study during those five-ish months without class.

Fast forward, I am now in Taipei Taiwan, and I love it here! I was extremely excited and grateful to be in the program. Now it is week two of my summer program at NTU. Back in my university, I was in the intermediate level. When I took the placement exam and spoke with the teacher who evaluated my exam, she felt that it would be good for me to start at a level lower. I trusted her decision and agreed to be in a lower level. Not because I wanted to cruise by, but I knew that I would be placed in a class where others are in my same level of speaking, listening, etc.. I was excited to learn and to force myself to speak in Chinese as much as I could. Now that we are in week two, I feel that my Chinese is probably the worst that it ever has been. We got our first test back, and I didn't get a good grade on it.

I literally walked home in the pouring rain in Taiwan, completely soaked, just trying to think where did I go wrong or what I need to do to get better. I knew that my Chinese was not great coming to Taiwan, but now I feel like I can barely even speak it. I don't want to give up on learning Chinese. I love the language. The university in Taipei is wonderful, and my teacher is super awesome. Chinese is just not clicking for me lately, and I don't know why. I feel as if I just crashed into a brick wall.

I didn't know who else to ask for advice because I came to Taiwan by myself. Then, I remembered reddit and I found this Chinese community! Sorry if this was too long, I'm definitely venting a little bit. Part of me thinks that I might just need to give it a couple of weeks to start to improve, but it's a little hard right now to have that vision being so down in the dumps. I study every day at least two hours every day after class, and sometimes more. I know most of the vocab we cover in the book, but it's just speaking and listening that I struggle in.

Did any of you have similar experiences when learning Chinese? How did you overcome them? If you made it this far, thanks for reading my story :^)

submitted by /u/Lednay
[link] [comments]

from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! http://bit.ly/2Wurjnh
--------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com

没有评论:

发表评论

Time-lapse: Beautiful cacti bloom before your eyes

from New China TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWntHYtd5Vo