2019年2月14日星期四

Chinese name and Buddhist names

Hello all! I've just started learning Mandarin and I'm trying to pick a Chinese name for myself. I hope these name posts aren't taking up too much space.

What I've come up with is 胡江

胡 because it's a common surname and the historical meanings of beard, barbarian, and non-Chinese all describe me ;) Also Bodhidharma was called 碧眼胡 in China and I'm a Buddhist. I know Chinese people don't name after historical figures but that seemed pretty safe.

江 because the first syllable matches my first and last name in English, as well as my birth name being the name of a river. It fits perfectly.

My question is how does this name sound to Chinese ears? I can't tell if it's cool, boring, or old-sounding or if there are any unsavory people with the name I don't know about.

My other question is are there any names that a Buddhist may give their child that I could consider? I'd love to have something that would be understood as virtuous or auspicious in Buddhism without being that pretentious westerner who names himself Dharma Ocean Lotus or something :)

Thank you so much for your help!

submitted by /u/MniSnowtaMakoce
[link] [comments]

from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! http://bit.ly/2SAbYEB
--------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com

没有评论:

发表评论

Time-lapse: Beautiful cacti bloom before your eyes

from New China TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWntHYtd5Vo