So, I ran across this little gem on the ever controversial, Wikipedia. The word "gung-ho" in English speaking countries means enthusiastic or overzealous. It's origins, however, aren't as overtly descriptive. Wikipedia states:
It is an anglicised pronunciation of "gōng hé" (工合), which is also sometimes anglicised as "kung-ho". "Gōng hé" is a shortened version of the term "gōngyè hézuòshè" (工業合作社) or Chinese Industrial Cooperatives, which was abbreviated as Indusco in English. The two Chinese characters "gōng" and "hé" mean respectively "work" and "together".
Chinese Industrial Cooperatives were organisations established by a movement, involving various Western expatriates, to promote grassroots industrial and economic development in China. Supposedly it's great legacy is it's nickname, Gung Ho, becoming our word "gung-ho."
Knowing all this, I was curious. Does gung-ho have a similar meaning in Chinese culture as it does in English speaking cultures? Or if one we're to say (phonetically) "Gung Ho" would a Chinese speaker think I meant "working together?"
[link] [comments]
from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! https://ift.tt/2QW4FFT --------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com
没有评论:
发表评论