2018年7月6日星期五

I'm thinking about joining the peace corps so I can learn Chinese, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Okay, so first my main concern is it being a government entity. My hope is to be able to return to China to teach English as an actual job and learn Chinese through an institution close to whatever place I end up in. If I will be barred from going back to China after my time in the peace corps it would be better if I don't join. This is what I need to know most of all.

Besides that I can think of some advantages that seem more appealing to me than the disadvantages:

  1. I can go to China for almost free besides some paper work and fees.

  2. I can get experience teaching English and have something put on my resume without taking an unpaid internship (even if I just get a stipend that will be fine).

  3. I can familiarize myself with the culture alongside other idiots abroad before I go in alone. Granted, I feel I know more about Chinese culture than most Americans, but this may be because I live in a small city in Idaho not known for being very multicultural.

the disadvantages seem slight:

  1. I will not be making any real money and the stipend will probably be just enough to get by (I will not have much money by the time it ends).

  2. Perhaps there will be a social stigma if I go to China, but I am not aware of this.

  3. I will not fully be able to explore the culture alone (as it is a cross cultural thing and not a way to just soak up the local culture).

Any further input? I feel this will be a good opportunity to learn Chinese language and get experience for when I actually want to go there in the near future. If I live modestly maybe I can save up and have enough money to go back almost immediately.

submitted by /u/cronos844
[link] [comments]

from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! https://ift.tt/2KEpcMM
--------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com

没有评论:

发表评论

Time-lapse: Beautiful cacti bloom before your eyes

from New China TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWntHYtd5Vo