2019年5月30日星期四

Help with Chinese name

Hello, everyone~

I'm having a bit of a dilemma that I'm looking for some input on~ I will also include a TL;DR at the bottom~

So my grandma was Generally Asian/Mexican (she was mostly Chinese with Korean and Filipino heritage as well), but her Asian heritage was overshadowed by her Mexican heritage since we come from a predominantly Mexican area in the States. Because of this, I never really grew up with too strong of a connection to my Chinese side. I do speak Mandarin (albeit like 10 year old) and some Cantonese but a lot of that was learned from reading and pestering my grandma to teach me whatever she knew (her roots are from GuangZhou mostly).

Anywho, nowadays i do feel like I want to continue to learn about Chinese culture and language. The dilemma is that my grandma never really gave me a traditional Chinese name, she tended to just use my english name. I was eventually given the name 寧天 but i think only because it has a similar sound to my english name. My grandma's Chinese family namen is 安,so altogether my name is 安寧天 (An Ning Tian)。Recently I've been thinking of spending a few years teavelling around East Asia after I graduate from university next year and was hoping to find a name that suits Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. When I looked back, my korean family surname is Young (영, 永). I think this rolls off the tongue better in Korean and Chinese than 安 Ahn. I also decided to just use my nickname Niko since it seems to be easy to pronounce in Korean and Japanese. The problem is that the Chinese variant of Niko 尼科 (Ni-Ke) doesnt really appeal to me, so i spent a few days researching and came across the characters 猊凱. I really like these characters and the meaning since they are pretty similar to the actual meaning of Niko in general, but I'm not sure how these characters would look to a native speaker. I don't want to have a silly or ridiculous name in Chinese, so I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions on names!

TL;DR: Changing my Chinese name from the one my grandma gave me, 安寧天, to 永猊凱,but want to make sure the characters dont come across silly or ridiculous.

submitted by /u/pandalaiyo
[link] [comments]

from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! http://bit.ly/2Mylk1l
--------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com

没有评论:

发表评论

Time-lapse: Beautiful cacti bloom before your eyes

from New China TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWntHYtd5Vo