2019年4月26日星期五

Learning Mandarin with an underbite

Hello everyone. I have been interested in Chinese for a long time, and a few weeks ago I started to teach myself Mandarin. Something I am very concerned about is pronunciation. I know I can't expect to sound like a native speaker after just a couple of weeks, but I am worried that I won't be able to reach a level where people can comfortably understand me.

I have a slight underbite and I had my teeth adjusted with braces in high school. They're straight now, but there is a 3-4 gap (guesstimate) between my upper middle four teeth and lower four teeth. You don't notice unless I close my jaw and show my teeth, and I can speak both my native tongue (Swedish) and English fine. I know Mandarin has a lot of different s and sh sounds though, and I have trouble doing tight sh sounds since my teeth don't touch. Does anyone have any information about this? I tried googling but nothing comes up.

I can't imagine that no one in China has the problem as me, and I'm sure they can be understood anyway. I am just very worried that I keep studying and will never be able to speak with people properly. :(

submitted by /u/Nicura_
[link] [comments]

from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! http://bit.ly/2IKhgYP
--------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com

没有评论:

发表评论

Time-lapse: Beautiful cacti bloom before your eyes

from New China TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWntHYtd5Vo