2019年1月23日星期三

Thinking about a name change

Hello, hope all's well. This is a two-part question; I hope it fits in this sub, but apologies if it doesn't.

I'm British-born Chinese who admittedly doesn't know much Chinese, which is why I'm looking for some advice. Last year, I came out as non-binary and adopted a gender neutral name which is different to my masculine birth name. This year, I'm planning to change my legal name to reflect this.

Because I'm legally changing my name, it has given me an opportunity to seriously think about my middle name as well - which is currently a romanised version of my Chinese name (Ho-bunn / 浩彬). Because I can't write or read Chinese (or speak Cantonese) and don't know much about how names are gendered in the language, I'm seeking more context around my middle name if possible, before I make a decision on whether to keep or change it.

My two questions are as follows:

  1. Is 浩彬 seen as a male name?
  2. If you knew 'Ho-bunn' was a romanised version but didn't know the exact Chinese characters it came from, does Ho-bunn look like a male name - or is it gender ambiguous?

Thanks for your time!

submitted by /u/ChemicalPear
[link] [comments]

from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! http://bit.ly/2MrfyuA
--------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com

没有评论:

发表评论

Time-lapse: Beautiful cacti bloom before your eyes

from New China TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWntHYtd5Vo