2018年9月25日星期二

Do you ever feel slightly ashamed when other people find out you're involved with the Chinese language/culture?

Touchy topic, but basically what I want to ask is: do you ever feel like you have to hide a part of yourself in public? Sometimes I intentionally hide the fact that I speak Chinese or that I'm very involved in the culture, simply because there are negative stereotypes revolving around Chinese society. (I want to clarify that, even though I'm not a native Chinese, I grew up partly surrounded by the language and the people.)

I have seen similar, almost cliche, reddit posts about minority Americans being "ashamed" of their heritage, if you know what I mean. Anyways, it's a similar feeling. It's as if you want to blend in with everyone, but if the majority finds out you're so involved with Chinese, then all of a sudden you don't fit in with the majority. Further, there's a stereotype that a sub-population of the non-native Chinese speaking population can be described as LBH, yellow-fever, banana, weirdo or other slurs like that. Don't get me wrong: I love the Chinese lang/cult, but it's just the negative stereotypes that loom around.

So, sometimes I feel like, in order to avoid being judged, I should not talk about this passion I have for Chinese lang/cult. But I feel like that's not a healthy mentality to have.

I'm curious as to what other people's perspectives/attitudes are.

submitted by /u/Brilliant_Original
[link] [comments]

from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! https://ift.tt/2Q6Rvl7
--------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com

没有评论:

发表评论

Time-lapse: Beautiful cacti bloom before your eyes

from New China TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWntHYtd5Vo