2018年5月25日星期五

How Can I Break Down Sentences Into Their Grammar Constructs?

你好

I'm currently somewhere between HSK2 and HSK3. I'm taking lessons at the Confucius institute at Manchester University, currently their "Comprehensive Mandarin 3" course.

Previously I have found my form of studying ideal, which is learning each new word within a sentence to give it context. I add these to anki and break down pinyin,hanzi,meaning etc. into multiple cards.

The I'm currently on their 3rd course, it is far more grammar heavy, each lesson contains several new grammar points. My practice at home while great for learning vocab is lacking the grammar component.

The Chairman's Bao write graded mandarin articles and provide a break down of the grammar used (I really enjoy reading their articles it helps me understand what I've learnt in context). For example here is one of their posts:

今年47岁的王洪凯(Wang Hongkai)是大连一个小学的保安。他的儿子今年八岁,身体不好,不能走路。 儿子小的时候,爸爸和妈妈每天带着他去北京的大医院看病,花了很多钱。2016年9> 月1日,爸爸开始背儿子上学。2018年,学校给这个爸爸找了一个在学校里做保安的工作,让他可以来照顾儿子,也有收入。学校里的老师和学生都来帮助他们。 爸爸、妈妈和儿子一家三口都很快乐,他们很感谢有这么多好心人帮助他们。

And their grammar section is:

...的时候 /...时 - Expressing "when…" with "...de shíhou / ...shí" 儿子小的时候,爸爸和妈妈每天带着他去北京的大医院看病,花了很多钱。

每 + 天 / 周 / 年 / 次 - Expressing "every day / every week / every year / every time" with "měi + Time Word" (天, 周, 年 and 次 act as their own measure words) 儿子小的时候,爸爸和妈妈每天带着他去北京的大医院看病,花了很多钱。

Verb + 着 - Expressed after verbs to indicate an action in process with "Verb + zhe" 儿子小的时候,爸爸和妈妈每天带着他去北京的大医院看病,花了很多钱。

Verb / Verb Phrase + 了 - Expressing that an action has been completed with "Verb / Verb Phrase + le" 儿子小的时候,爸爸和妈妈每天带着他去北京的大医院看病,花了很多钱。 2018年,学校给这个爸爸找了一个在学校里做保安的工作

给 + Noun + Verb - Expressing a more informal "for sb / sth..." with "gěi + Noun + Verb" 2018年,学校给这个爸爸找了一个在学校里做保安的工作

这 / 那 + Measure Word + Noun - Expressing "this… / that…" with "zhè / nà + Measure Word + Noun" 2018年,学校给这个爸爸找了一个在学校里做保安的工作

(在)...里 - Expressing "in / inside…" with "(zài)...lǐ" 2018年,学校给这个爸爸找了一个在学校里做保安的工作 学校里的老师和学生都来帮助他们。

Phrase + 的 + Noun - Expressed to link a noun to a preceding phrase with "Phrase + de + Noun” 2018年,学校给这个爸爸找了一个在学校里做保安的工作

Subject + 让 + Sb / Sth + Verb / Verb Phrase - Expressing "to make or let sb / sth to do sth" with "Subject + ràng + sb / sth + Verb / Verb Phrase" (causative verb) 2018年,学校给这个爸爸找了一个在学校里做保安的工作,让他可以来照顾儿子,也有收入。

Subject + 可以 + Verb + Object - Expressing that the subject "can" perform an action with "Subject + kěyǐ + Verb + Object" (used for expressing permission to perform the action) 2018年,学校给这个爸爸找了一个在学校里做保安的工作,让他可以来照顾儿子,也有收入。

这么 + Verb / Adj. - Expressing "so / so much…" with "zhème + Verb / Adj." 他们很感谢有这么多好心人帮助他们。

They do this for every article, they seem to be machine generated somehow.

I was thinking how amazing it would be if I could take every sentence I have in anki and break down which grammar rules it utilises. That way I could create new cards asking "Which grammar rules does this sentence demonstrate?" Or create a deck containing only sentences that use a certain grammar structure.

I've been using Stanford's Chinese word segmenter to help me find sentences containing words I want to learn. It also has the ability to break sentences down into their grammatical components. Unfortunately I am about as far from a linguist as you could imagine and Chinese is the first foreign language I have every learnt (ignoring my horrendous French classes in Belfast 20 years ago).

Here is a webpage showing what they have achieved, https://nlp.stanford.edu/projects/chinese-nlp.shtml

What I'm aiming to do is somehow take each sentence and break it down into grammatical structures used per HSK level. The Chairman's Bao somehow achieve it and I have no idea how, the Stanford segmenter seems like a great start but with my poor understanding of language constructs I do not know where I should start.

I'm aiming to share any code/utilities I write with the wider community. I already have code that will find sentences containing only words you know (i.e. you have somewhere in anki) and one new word, it is amazing for sentence mining. I'm hoping with this I can add grammar mining.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can achieve this, or at least somewhere I can start?

Thank you!

submitted by /u/beardedchimp
[link] [comments]

from r/ChineseLanguage: a community for people who are studying, teaching, or interested in Chinese! https://ift.tt/2xc8az7
--------
More tips about learning Chinese
http://hellolearnchinese.com

没有评论:

发表评论

Time-lapse: Beautiful cacti bloom before your eyes

from New China TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWntHYtd5Vo